Ford has put the official numbers of the 2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 which it had unveiled earlier this year at the NAIAS. The official words are, the hand built supercharged 5.2L aluminum alloy V8 unit produces 760 HP and turns out 625 lb-ft (847 Nm) of torque, making the 2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 the most powerful street-legal Ford ever. Well, at least it is until the folks over at Ford come up with another with even crazier numbers.
Lifting a page from its Ford GT super, the beast of motors is paired to a TREMEC 7-speed dual-clutch transmission which promised silky smooth shifting in “less than 100 milliseconds,” plus the dual-clutch transmission affording a number of drive modes and further features line-lock and rpm-selectable launch control through selectable Track Apps. Basically, the 2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 solves the age-old dilemma of petrolhead who can only afford one car for both everyday drive and track days, well, that’s if you have money to drop for one.
Speaking of which, the pricing is not available immediately. But looking how much the 2019 Mustang Shelby GT350 commands (which is $59,140+, btw), this ain’t going to be a cheap ride. However, it will be a ride that will not have check into workshop to turn it into a track-going ride. That’s for sure. For those who aren’t satisfied with the factory flavor (and has the money to spare), Ford is offering two handling packages to further up its handling capability.
Other highlights of the 2020 Mustang Shelby GT500 include:
• a new electronic power steering unit
• revised suspension geometry
• lighter-weight coil springs front and rear
• next-generation active MagneRide suspension
• 16.5-inch 2-piece rotors and Brembo six-pod calipers
• 50 percent more cooling over the GT350
• advanced aero components and downforce
• Shelby GT500-specific 20×11-inch wheels
• updated composite materials rear diffuser
• large 31×28-inch louvered hood vent
• exposed carbon fiber instrument panel appliqué
• new door panel inserts in Dark Slate Miko suede with accent stitching
• Recaro racing seats
• 12-inch full-color LCD instrument cluster
• custom-tuned 12-speaker B&O Play premium audio system
• an 8-inch SYNC 3 touch screen
• new colors for 2020: Rapid Red, Twister Orange and Iconic Silver
You can learn more about the 2020 Mustang Shelby GT500 over at its dedicated website HERE.
All images courtesy of Ford Motor Company.