Abarth, the Italian performance car maker, has taken its first step into electrification starting with the Abarth 500e. Based on the Fiat 500 electric, the new 2023 Abarth 500e boasts improved weight distribution, better torque, and a wider wheelbase, and it is, of course, faster.
The 2023 Abarth 500e also touts itself as the most responsive Abarth 500 ever, bettering even the 695 in responsiveness. It is powered by a 113.7 kW/155 PS (153 HP) electric motor that produces 235 Nm (173 lb-ft) of torque and is paired with a 41 kWh battery. All told, the electrified Abarth makes the century sprint (0-62 mph) in a respectable 7 seconds.
The battery system is paired with an 85-kW fast-charging system that provides up to 25 miles (40 km) of range in just 5 minutes and is capable of 80% charge in 35 minutes.
The car offers three modes of driving: Turismo, Scorpion Street, and Scorpion Track. Official details are as follows:
- The Turismo mode allows for smoother acceleration and lower power (max power 100kW instead of 113kW, torque 220Nm instead of 235Nm) for an efficient yet exciting driving experience.
- The Scorpion Street mode offers top performance while maximizing regenerative braking.
- Plus, on Turismo or Scorpion Street Mode – thanks to the one-pedal driving feature – all you need is one pedal to experience the ultimate performance. The car decelerates every time you lift your foot and recovers kinetic energy, which then gets converted into electricity to recharge the battery. A faster and even sportier driving experience!
- Finally, the Scorpion Track mode is designed for those who are looking for top performance.
The 2023 Abarth 500e is also the only small car that provides an immersive sound experience, featuring the famous Abarth roar through the Sound Generator. The Sound Generator is in sync with the engine performance, faithfully reproducing the sound of an Abarth petrol engine.
The sound does not stop there. Each time the car is turned on or off, the Key On-Off system reproduces a guitar inside the cabin – a sound that immediately gives users those sensations that can be experienced on board any Abarth.
Even the AVAS (Acoustic Vehicle Alert System) gets a specific “jingle”, transforming a cold homologation and normative constraint into a sound recognizable by Scorpion fans.
It is a “sound” that sets the New Abarth 500e apart from other electric cars. Plus, the first time you exceed 12mph, a “strumming guitar” reflects the transgressive and unconventional soul which is inherent in the genre and in the Scorpion‘s cars. Not sure why Abarth invests so much in sound generation technology. I guess it is something only Abarth fans can comprehend.
Anyhoo, it being a sports car, sporty styling is naturally a standard which includes a dedicated front sporty bumper, the elusive and sporty lines of the lateral skirt, the cool white front DAM, the rear diffuser inserts, dedicated alloy wheels, and the new Titanium Grey mirror caps.
It further features full LED front lighting with a new Abarth signature, front and rear disc brakes, new front and rear Abarth lettering in dark titanium Grey, a new material electrified Scorpion signature logo and a black capote with an integrated sporty spoiler for the cabrio. The hatchback version is also equipped with rear privacy glass.
With the launch of the all-new Abarth 500e, Abarth also introduced the “Scorpionissima” launch edition, which is an exclusive, fully equipped, limited launch edition.
Limited to 1,949 units only, a number that pays homage to the brand’s birth year, the Scorpionissima is available in hatchback and convertible, in Acid Green or Poison Blue, and features a rich list of goodies including:
- Abarth side graphics
- 18” Diamond-Cut Titanium Grey alloy wheels
- A fixed glass roof and rear privacy glass
- Advanced sporty steel pedals and a kick plate with an engraved logo
- An Alcantara interior
- Uconnect™ Radio Touchscreen 10.25” with an integrated navigation system and new Performance Pages
- All-new 7” cluster
- An advanced 360 drone view sensor system and UHD rear camera
- JBL premium audio system
- An electrochromic interior mirror
- Wireless charger
- Six airbags
- A suite of driver aids and safety features
- Passive entry with the new Abarth wearable key and keyless go, and more
The 2023 Abarth 500e Scorpionissima Limited Edition electric vehicle is available to order online starting on November 22. For more information, be sure to hit up the Abarth 500e product page.
All images courtesy of Abarth.