When it comes to design, Bowers & Wilkins does not conform to the norm. While everyone out there, from entry level to fellow high-end audio equipment makers, adhered to square or round form, Bowers & Wilkins somehow managed to throw in organic into the mix. This ‘organic’ styling is evident in the company’s latest wireless audio products called Formation.
One look, you will know it is out to appeal your visual sense before impressive you with the audio prowess the company has made a name for themselves since more than half a century ago. Formation is a range of HiRes Audio-ready wireless products that can be used as standalone systems or expanded into a multi-room music system.
However you use it, each of the Formation family member promised B&W’s iconic audio engineering and the all-new patented Formation Wireless Technology for wireless streaming to various living spaces without time delay.
Key highlights of Formation Suite of wireless audio products:
• Patented Robust Mesh Network – developed to cover your whole home without impacting your home network quality. Our patented mesh network enables seamless sound and a new industry standard for streaming quality and speaker synchronization.
• Perfected Speaker Synchronization – imperceptible in-room synchronization of one microsecond between speakers allows them to work in perfect harmony to provide an industry-defining listening experience. It sounds like you’re listening to a live music in your living room.
• 96/24 Bit Audio Resolution – high-resolution streaming with twice the fidelity than the leading wireless speaker brand that creates denser, richer, best-in-class sound without information loss.
All told, five products are introduced at launch and they include:
• Formation Bar – Nine optimized drive units provide a wide soundstage including a dedicated center channel, so you always feel like you’re in the center of sound action.
• Formation Duo – With the same carbon-domed, tweeter-on-top technology and Continuum cone driver as Bowers & Wilkins’ industry-defining wired speakers, now experience legendary sound, wirelessly.
• Formation Wedge – Uniquely characterized by a 120-degree elliptical speaker shape, with dedicated full-range stereo sound components experience room filling high-resolution stereo sound.
• Formation Bass – Opposed drivers, powerful amplifiers and Dynamic EQ provide accurate audio depth and dimension without distortion. Pairs with other Formation components for the ultimate audio immersion.
• Formation Audio – Patented Formation Wireless Technology turns any traditional passive system into a high-fidelity streaming system for a best-of-all worlds sound experience.
Bowers & Wilkins Formation Suite of wireless audio products are available now, priced as follows:
My personal favorite, as far as design goes, has to be the Formation Bar (and it has 9 drivers!). Damn, that sound bar is unlike any we have seen here before. Granted, we can’t be a judge until we (if ever) audition it. But seriously, just look at the thing. It’s so… unique and truly conventional.
All images courtesy of Bowers & Wilkins.