First submitted as a LEGO Ideas project by Leandro Tayag, AKA Len_d69, the LEGO Voltron set quickly garnered the 10,000 supporters it needed to get reviewed by the LEGO Ideas panel and subsequently, the set got the Danish toy maker’s nods of approval back in August 2017. Fast forward today, LEGO Ideas made the official announcement that the LEGO Ideas 21311 Voltron set will be available starting August 01, 2018.
It is no surprise that Leandro’s LEGO Voltron won the hearts of follow LEGO lovers and LEGO Ideas panel. The set is exactly like the Voltron many of us have remembered. The only difference is the presence of LEGO’s trademark studs. Coming in at a 2,321 pieces, not only is the LEGO Ideas 21311 Voltron is a pretty big set and the largest LEGO Ideas set to date, but it is also the first LEGO Ideas set that allows individual sets to be combine to form the largest buildable LEGO mech model.
For the uninitiated, LEGO Ideas 21311 Voltron consists of five individual lion bots which can be assembled together to form this huge-ass mech that stands a towering 15 inches (40 centimeters) tall! Here are the highlights straight from the horse’s mouth:
• Features 5 buildable and posable lions that can be transformed and combined to create the giant Voltron super robot.
• Play with the lions individually or combine them using extra-strong joints to form Voltron—the black lion forms the head and torso; the red and green lions form the arms; and the yellow and blue lions form the legs.
• Pose the head, shoulders, arms and wrists of Voltron (legs are not posable).
• Also includes a sword and shield (each with silver-colored elements) that attach firmly to Voltron’s hands.
• Includes a booklet with building instructions, plus information about the set’s fan creator and super force of LEGO® designers.
• This set includes over 2,321 pieces.
• Display or play out exciting stories from the original 1980s animated Voltron TV series and the modern DreamWorks Voltron: Legendary Defender series.
• Voltron measures over 15” (40cm) high, 5” (14cm) long and 8” (21cm) wide.
• Black lion measures over 6” (17cm) high, 8” (22cm) long and 5” (15cm) wide.
• Yellow and blue lions each measure over 3” (8cm) high, 8” (21cm) long and 3” (8cm) wide.
• Green and red lions each measure over 3” (8cm) high, 7” (18cm) long and 1” (5cm) wide.
• Voltron’s sword measures 11” (29cm) long.
• Voltron’s shield measures 6” (16cm) in diameter.
The LEGO Ideas 21311 Voltron set will retail for $179.99 when it becomes available this August 01, 2018 (July 23 for VIP members).