Sneakerheads used to be an under-the-radar sub-culture. You might know someone who knew someone who knew someone else who was a super collector of prized sneakers. TikTok and Instagram reels and stories have exploded this underground scene, making these collectors accessible and breeding a new generation of obsessed sneakerheads.
And what are their most prized sneakers, you may ask? Nike ranks almost unchallenged in most online lists, with the Air Force 1 in its many versions and special editions as the sneaker of choice!
Let’s sneak into a few well-known collectors’ wardrobes and check out what they carry.
The Collectors Of Nike AF1s
Mark Farese, AKA, Mayor
Mayor is considered one of the OG’s (short for “original gangster”) of the sneakerhead community and has amassed one of the largest known sneaker collections, amounting to more than 1 million dollars worth! One of his all-time favorites is a beige and pink Kith Linen Atmosphere Air Force 1, which many say is one of the best AF1s ever produced.
Mention the name, Mayor, to anyone in the sneakerhead community, and they’ll know who you’re talking about. With over 226k followers on Instagram, a worldwide following, and over three decades of collecting, his Nike Air Force 1 sneaker collection is among the most prized and famous worldwide.
DJ Clark Kent – The “112” Collection
DJ Clark Kent, a legendary figure in the hip-hop and sneaker world, is renowned for his vast collection of Nike Air Force 1s. Among his favorites is the “112” collection, a set of sneakers inspired by DJ Clark Kent’s style and New York City roots.
While being known for kickstarting some legendary music careers, he has collaborated with Nike numerous times to produce some highly collectible sneakers.
DJ Khaled – owns over 10,000 pairs of sneakers
With an Instagram following of over 37 million and a heavyweight in the music industry, DJ Khaled has some sway in the sneakerhead community.
A collaboration with Louis Vuitton resulted in highly prized and valuable sneakers still being traded today. Fans couldn’t help but notice when he rocked up courtside rocking a pair of Louis Vuitton x Nike Air Force 1s recently, keeping the hype for the brand and his collection alive.
Social Media’s Influence On Sneakerhead Culture
The various social media platforms have transformed how we collect, view, trade, and hear about our favorite Nike Air Force 1 shoes. Here are a few ways social media has spread the sneakerhead gospel far and wide.
- Global Connectivity: Social media connects sneaker enthusiasts worldwide, fostering an international community.
- Instant Updates: Platforms share real-time sneaker info, increasing awareness and engagement.
- Visual Showcase: Sneakerheads display collections and photography skills on platforms like Instagram.
- Influencers & Content Creators: Social media gave rise to sneaker influencers who shape trends and bridge the brand-consumer gap.
- Trend Participation: Sneaker challenges and trends create community and creativity among enthusiasts.
- Sneaker Marketplaces: Informal buying, selling, and trading flourish on platforms like TikTok, Instagram, and Twitter.
- Event Promotion: Social media aids in organizing sneaker events and meetups, expanding their reach.
- Brand Accountability: Consumers hold Brands accountable through direct feedback on social media.
Collectors Spend Big On Nike Air Force 1 Sneakers
No longer under the radar in sub-culture, sneakerheads have gone mainstream, and the followership is growing daily. Their most loved and shared sneaker? The Nike Air Force One. Yes, many other brands have captured the attention of sneaker collectors and traders, but the cult following has kept growing since Nike launched the Air Force 1 way back in 1982.
Not only in the world of hip-hop and music, Air Force 1s are also collected and appreciated all over the world by a growing and diverse part of the population as a lifestyle shoe. Join the sneakerhead community and add another AF1 to your collection.
Featured photo by Grailify on Unsplash.