But the Glitchpunk is not that. In fact, the overall design of the game will make feel like there may be a glitch in the Matrix and the cyberpunk future gets intertwined with classic top-down action games, a la old school GTA 2 vibe.
So yeah, it is a futuristic game, but play in the good’ol top-down fashion.
The follow official description pretty much sums up what Glitchpunk is about:
“In Glitchpunk you play as a glitching android going against your own programming and challenging the tyrannical governments and megacorps of the dystopian near-future. Forge your own path in several cities full of drug-crazed gangs, aggressive police, and irresponsible drivers that make each mission and playthrough unpredictable. Steal cars and lead your enemies on a merry chase, fight them with a variety of melee and long-range weapons, and upgrade your own body with tech. But Glitchpunk isn’t just about blowing things up, it also tells a story of transhumanism, xenophobia, and religion. You can influence the world around you, make new friends, face off against more enemies than you can count – and you might even find love.”
Well, isn’t it a coincidence? That’s exactly the kind of future we headed, isn’t it?
And here are the key features:
• Brutal top-down action with a massive arsenal of weapons to choose from
• Hacking system allows players to control minds of pedestrians and affect various devices.
• Many different ways of locomotion, including trains, tanks, motorbikes, buses, trucks, and obviously tons of cars
• Frantic police chases and up to 10 escalations of mayhem-inducing wanted levels
• 12 gangs with their own stories, quests, and culture
• 4 different cities, from the desert remains of the USA to cyberpunk Soviet Russia in a post-nuclear winter
• Mature story with several endings
• Rare art style mix of 2D sprites in a 3D environment
• In-game radio with music by artists from all over the world, together with news stations and absurd commercials
Glitchpunk is set to enter Early Access on Steam in first half of 2021. Prior to that, a demo of the game will be available during the Steam Game Festival from February 3 to February 9.
In the meantime, here’s the announcement trailer to give you an idea what to expect of the graphics and gameplay. Glitchpunk is developed by Dark Lord Game and published by Daedalic Entertainment.