If you haven’t already heard about the much leaked and rumored Google Pixel 4 devices, well, please allow us to fill you in real quick. Everything you heard up until to few hours ago is true.
Does it has a beautiful design? It’s debatable. One thing for sure is, there is finally a new design since the original Pixel. Its now glass front and back – a departure to its signature two-tone, two-material design.
While it has a square rear camera bump like Huawei Mate 20 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max, it does not have a triple camera, let alone a quad camera. Instead, it sports a dual camera setup and it is all about computational photography, yet again yawn.
There is no in-display fingerprint sensor and neither is there a physical fingerprint sensor because, Face Unlock by the virtue of the radar buried up top on its forehead which is also the key to a new technology called Motion Sense teased by Google a while back.
The radar, developed by Soli, was also the reason for its unusually thick forehead and you can also credit it for the notch-less design.
So the main take away are, spanking new aesthetic, notch-less design at the expense of thick bezel and eye-hurting forehead, and fancy radar for motion sensing and Face Unlock.
Other selling points of the phone are largely software based, like transcribing features with its built in audio recorder (which also works with video too). Beyond that, the specs are rudimentary at best for today’s flagship smartphones. Here’s a rundown of the specs:
• Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 Mobile Platform, Adreno 640 GPU, Titan M Security Module, Pixel Neural Core
• Memory & Storage: 6 GB LPDDR4x RAM, 64 or 128 GB storage
⁃ Pixel 4: 5.7-inch FHD+ flexible OLED “Smooth Display”, up to 90 Hz, 19:9 aspect ratio
⁃ Pixel 4 XL: 6.3-inch QHD+ flexible OLED “Smooth Display”, up to 90 Hz, 19:9 aspect ratio
• Corning Gorilla Glass 5
⁃ Pixel 4: 2,800 mAh, 18 W/2A UB Type-C charger, 18 W fast charging, Qi-certified wireless charging
⁃ Pixel 4: 3,700 mAh, 18 W/2A UB Type-C charger, 18 W fast charging, Qi-certified wireless charging
⁃ Rear camera: 16 MP 1.0 μm pixel width PDAF + 12.2 MP 1.4 μm pixel width AF with dual pixel PD tele lens, OIS+EIS
⁃ Front camera: 8 MP 1.22 μm pixel width FF camera with NIR dot projector, 2 NIR cameras, NIR flood emitter
⁃ Rear camera: [email protected]fps, 60fps, 120fps, [email protected]fps, [email protected]fps
⁃ Front camera: [email protected]fps
• Sensors: Active Edge, Android Sensor Hub, Proximity/Ambient Light sensor, Sharp and textured haptics, accelerometer, gyrometer, magnetometer, barometer, microphones, Motion Sense
• Connectivity: USB Type-C 3.1 Gen-1, dual-band WiFi 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, 2×2 MIMO, Bluetooth 5.0 + LE, GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, NFC
• Construction: aluminum frame + matte finish hybrid coating, soft touch or polished glass (Corning Gorilla Glass 5) on the back, IP68 dust and water protection
• Colors: Just Black, Clearly White and Oh So Orange (limited edition)
⁃ Pixel 4: 68.8 x 147.1 x 8.2 mm (2.7 x 5.7 x 0.3 inches), 162g
⁃ Pixel 4 XL: 75.1 x 160.4 x 8.2 mm (2.9 x 6.3 x 0.3 inches), 193g
All images courtesy of Google.