We felt that the Olympic Games may not have the same kind of draw as it had like, say, in the 80s or 90s, but that just us. Mattel probably think otherwise. The toy maker has jumped on the chance to secure licensing collaborations with the International Olympic Committee and Tokyo 2020.
Here are the official words on the products:
Hot Wheels® Mini Collection For The Olympic Games Tokyo 2020
• The Hot Wheels Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 Mini Collection represents iconic sports of Tokyo 2020, from historic sports dating back to the first Games in Athens to new sports that make their debut this year in Tokyo.
• Sports celebrated in Hot Wheels die-cast form include fan favorites such as track & field, gymnastics, swimming, basketball, beach volleyball and include new sports including baseball/softball, sport climbing, karate, skateboarding and surfing.
• Two cars within the collection are Hot Wheels versions of Worldwide Olympic Partner Toyota’s vehicles ’10 Toyota Tundra and Toyota 2000 GT.
Barbie® Olympic Games Tokyo 2020
• Embodying the style of Tokyo 2020 in unrivaled fashion, Barbie enters the world of the Olympic Games by embracing the five new sports added to the Olympic programme.
UNO® Celebrating Olympic Games Tokyo 2020
• Featuring the mascot of the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020, “Miraitowa”, this limited-edition UNO deck celebrates the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 with a unique design and special rule fitting for the world’s most iconic sporting event.
Obviously, I already have my eyes on the Hot Wheels Toyota 2000 GT. Man, that ride is an absolutely classic. It, like the Nissan Z-car, was Japanese bid in luring Muscle Car lovers in the American market.
The Mattel Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 Toys will be available in retailers worldwide, as well as on the Mattel Shop.
We are not sure when these Mattel Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 Toys will be hitting the shelves, though. Neither the prices are known.