LG has announced what feels like a filler flagship device, the LG G8SThingQ, without much of a fanfare. It just put out a press release, accompanied by a couple of images and that’s it. Then again, there’s nothing exciting, much less groundbreaking. It is, well, just another smartphone. Though I must say, I am all for the overall aesthetic – except for the annoying notch.
It seems to me LG is placing its bet on AI. So are most the Chinese handset makers, but they are also exploring new grounds like, you know, under display camera, for example? Well, at least, you know this is one brand that won’t get banned by Trump. Just saying… But damn, the notch is an eyesore. The purpose of the LG G8SThingQ is not serving as a new phone as I initially believe it to be.
It is LG bringing “exceptional user experience of the G series to customers in more regions.” This is the part where you love to hate the marketing folks. Why can’t a product be the same across the world? This is not the 1980s or 90s, people. The world is very much connected and as such, the world does share quite some common denominators. I mean, seriously, it is a freaking phone. Do we need differentiation based on markets?
Anyways, enough of my rant. Here are the key specifications of the LG G8SThingQ:
• Chipset: Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 855 Mobile Platform
• Display: 6.2-inch 18.7:9 FHD+ OLED FullVision (2248 x 1080)
• Memory: 6GB RAM / 128GB
• Camera:– Rear: 13MP Super Wide (F2.4 / 1.0μm / 137˚) / 12MP Standard (F1.8 / 1.4μm / 78˚) / 12MP Telephoto (F2.6 / 1.0μm / 48˚)– Front: 8MP Standard (F1.9 / 1.12μm / 80˚) / Z Camera (ToF Technology)
• Battery: 3550mAh
• Operating System: Android 9.0 Pie
• Size: 155.3 x 76.6 x 7.99mm
• Weight: 181g
• Network: 3G / 4G LTE-A
• Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11 a, b, g, n, ac / Bluetooth 5 / NFC / USB Type-C (USB 3.1 Compatible)
• Biometrics: Hand ID / Face Unlock / Fingerprint Sensor
• Colors: Mirror Black, Mirror Teal, Mirror White
• Other: Air Motion / Stereo Speakers / AI CAM / Google Lens / Google Assistant / IP68 Water and Dust Resistance / HDR10 / Qualcomm® Quick Charge™ 3.0 Technology / MIL-STD 810G Compliance
The LG G8SThingQ is destined for consumers in Europe, Latin America, Africa, and the Middle East. Pricing and details of availability will be announced locally.
P.S. it is a refreshing change of NOT to have curved glass.
All images courtesy of LG.