While smartphone maker are busy doling out 5G handsets and phones that fold, LG came out of nowhere with a dual-screen phone that has a rotating main screen. LG is calling WING. I guess it does look like one (wing) when it opens up. So no. No folding phone from LG.
At a glance, the LG WING looks like a regular smartphone, but it actually has two screens: a 6.8-inch FHD+ P-OLED main screen and a 3.9-inch G-OLED second screen. The latter is hidden under the main screen and appears when the entire front swivels clockwise 90 degrees, orientating the main screen in landscape mode.
LG is calling the regular phone mode as ‘Basic Mode’ and the T-shaped like two-screen mode ’Swivel Mode’. It is a radical idea which only time will tell if it will take off. That is a real phone, btw.
With the phone fully deployed, you can take advantage of both screens to multitask. You watch a video while video call with a friend (perhaps discussing the plot?), or play a game while checking online guide on another screen, for examples.
Multitasking aside, LG is also marketing it as a content creator device. A pro video camera of sort. When videoing in Swivel Mode, the second screen is like the handle of your camcorder with all the controls conveniently laid out while the main screen serves as the monitor.
When videoing, the LG WING turns into a Gimbal Motion Camera, the world’s first in a smartphone. With the WING, you will not need an external gimbal because, the phone itself is the gimbal. Pretty cool idea.
LG WING Is set to launch in South Korea next month, followed by key markets in North America and Europe. Pricing is unknown at this point. Meanwhile, you can learn more at the phone’s microsite HERE. Before you go, here’s a summary of the key specifications straight from the source:
• Chipset: Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 765G 5G Mobile Platform integrated with Snapdragon X52 5G Modem-RF System
• Display:– Main Screen: 6.8-inch 20.5:9 FHD+ P-OLED FullVision (2,460 x 1,080 / 395ppi)– Second Screen: 3.9-inch 1.15:1 G-OLED (1,240 x 1,080 / 419ppi)
• Memory: 8GB RAM / 128 or 256GB ROM / microSD (up to 2TB)
• Camera:– Rear: Ultra High Resolution (64MP Standard 2 (F1.8 / 78°/ 0.8µm) / 13MP Ultra Wide (F1.9 / 117° / 1.0µm) / 12MP Ultra Wide Big Pixel (F2.2 / 120° / 1.4µm)– Front: 32MP Standard 3 (F1.9 / 79.6° / 0.8µm)
• Battery: 4,000mAh
• Operating System: Android 10.0 (Q OS)
• Size: 169.5 x 74.5 x 10.9 mm
• Weight: 260g
• Network: 3G / 4G LTE-A / 5G
• Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11 a, b, g, n, ac / Bluetooth 5.1 / NFC / USB Type-C (USB 3.1 Gen 1 Compatible)
• Colors: Aurora Gray / Illusion Sky
• Others: Gimbal Motion Camera / Front Pop Up Camera / Hexa Motion Stabilizer / AI CAM / Google Lens / Google Assistant / Q Lens / Dual Recording / LG Creator’s Kit / Black Stabilizer / LG 3D Sound Engine / In-Display Fingerprint Sensor / IP54 Water and Dust Resistance / Qualcomm® Quick Charge™ 4.0+ Technology / Wireless Charging / MIL-STD 810G Compliance 4 / LG Pay
All images courtesy of LG.