I don’t know how this managed to get pass us. We are talking about this follow up electric bicycle (or electric pedal assist bicycle) from Denmark startup Mate Bike called Mate X. The company’s second offering outdone its first, attracting over 20,000 backers whom helped to raise nearly $12 million in funding. That’s twelve freaking millions! Holy mother of… if this isn’t one of the most funded ebike in history of crowdfunding… I am pretty sure it is.
As with the first Mate eBike, Mate X is very foldable. However, it is not compact cos’ it is, after all, a full-size bicycle. On the contrary, it is bigger and now sports a longer frame, and outfitted with fat, multi-terrain tires, so it can truly go anywhere. It is not as sleek as I envisioned, but still it is a handsome bike. I just wish it could lose the cables that have somehow marred the otherwise sleek form. But that is just a small inconvenience for an ebike that has a boatload of features. Speaking of features, here’s a rundown of the key features:
- 6-speed computer with integrated USB charger
- comfortable saddle with integrated phone holder
- a choice of 250 or 750 W motor
- Shimano 8-gear cassette and derailleur with easy shifting
- up to 20 mph (32 km/h)
- removable 48V lithium-ion battery
- 60-80 miles (97-129 kilometers) range
- 3-step folding system
- 1-click foldable pedals
- integrated carrying handle
- Tektro mechanical disc brakes, option to upgrade to hydraulic braking system
- hydraulic suspension (front: adjustable pre-load, rear: mechanical lock-out)
- 4” anti-puncture all-terrain fat tires on 20” wheels
- pedal assist and full electric modes
- a unique plug-and-play wiring system for easy serving and parts replacement
- 100% forged 6061 aluminum alloy frame
Those features are just a broad overview, but already, you can see why this pedal assist electric bicycle is so insanely popular on Indiegogo. Personally, I have yet to come across an ebike funded to nearly $12 million until now and man, it is absolutely mind-blowing.
Anywho, if you fancy, you can young the twenty thousand something backers in pre-order the Mate X Electric Folding Bike on Indiegogo. All you have to do is make a pledge of $849 or more (eventual retail price is $2,199-2,699, btw). Delivery is expected to be fulfilled sometime in March 2019. But you have act fast cos’ the campaign will end in four days.
Images: Mate Bike.
Source: Clean Technica.