I bet you never thought you will see a Qualcomm branded smartphone. Then again, they already did had a reference VR headset and a smartwatch previously. So I guess nothing is too surprising. So, that’s right. Qualcomm has just revealed a smartphone.
Described as “a premium package of mobile experiences,” this phone is designed by ASUS and armed with Snapdragon 888 5G. Now, you would have thought the chip would be the newly revealed 888 Plus, but it isn’t.
But SoC isn’t all the focused. It is the entire “Snapdragon experience,” which includes Snapdragon Sound, and you guessed it, connectivity. Qualcomm describe it as a “connectivity powerhouse” including “truly global 5G”, super fast Wi-Fi 6/6E and the good’ol Bluetooth.
How’s that a powerhouse, I have no idea. Keep going for a rundown of the specifications:
Key features of Qualcomm Phone for Snapdragon Insiders:
• Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 5G (64-bit octacore processor, 2.84 GHz)
• Qualcomm Adreno 660 GPU
• 144 Hz 6.78-inch FHD+ (2,448 x 1,080 pixels) Samsung AMOLED display
• HDR10 and HDR10+ certified
• Corning Gorilla Glass Victus,
• 64 MP tri-camera (64 MP Sony IMX686 sensor main + 12 MP Sony IMX363 sensor ultra wide + 8 MP telephoto with 3x optical zoom)
• Dual LED flash, 4-axis OIS, 2×1 On-Chip-lens phase detection AF, 6p lens, Quad Bayer technology – 16 MP, 1.6 um large effective pixel size
• Front camera: 24 MP
• 8 K UHD 30 fps videoing (main), 4k UHD 30/60 fps (main/second rear camera), 1080p 30/60 fps with HyperSteady, 3-axis EIS
• Bluetooth 5.2, tri-band wireless (2./4/5/6 GHz), WiFi 6E (802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax, 2×2 MIMO), NFC, Snapdragon Sound technology
• 4,000 mAh battery, supports Qualcomm Quick Charge 5.0 (supports up to 65 W)
• 16 GB LPDDR5 dual-channel memory and 512 GB UFS 3.1 storage
• Sensors: gyroscope, e-compass, light, proximity, hall, Qualcomm 3D Sonic Sensor (fingerprint sensor, back of phone)
• Dual stereo speakers, Smart AMP, top speaker front firing, bottom speaker side firing, quad HDR mics
• Dual SIM slots
• Android 11 OS
• Others: Light up Snapdragon branding (back of the phone)
• 173.15 x 77.25 x 9.55 mm / 210g
• Color: Midnight blue
In case you haven’t get it, the Qualcomm Phone for Snapdragon Insiders is an actual phone money can buy, albeit at a usually high price even for a flagship. We heard it will run you back at a hefty US$1,500.
However, for 1.5 grand you be treated to a braided USB-C cable, a custom rubber bumper, a Qualcomm Quick Charger 5 power brick, and a special edition Snapdragon-branded version of Master and Dynamics MW08SI TWS earbuds.