Well, what do you know? Famous English novelist George Orwell’s satirical classic, Animal Farm, has been turned into a video game. Yep. You read that right. A game adaptation of George Orwell’s Animal Farm is coming to PC and mobile and it is set to arrive in December.
With the world of “four legs good, two legs bad,” developer Nerial and publisher The Dairymen, with the blessing of Orwell estate, have brought the classic novel to life and give gamers the opportunity to partake in the animalistic revolution.
I read George Orwell’s Animal Farm during my school days (I still own a copy of the book, btw) and learned that the phrase “power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely” couldn’t be more true. The ending of the story was as haunting and as apocalyptic as any modern horror stories, TBH.
The novel may be 75 years old today, but Orwell’s insight into the corrupting nature of power remains as relevant.
“Orwell’s Animal Farm is an adventure game where all animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others. Immerse yourself in George Orwell’s story of absolute power and corruption and follow the ups and downs of Animalism. ”
Orwell’s Animal Farm is a narrative, choice-based adventure game that puts you at the center of an allegorical revolution, and features narration by Assassin’s Creed: Origins’ Abubakar Salim and directed by Kate Saxon of The Witcher 2 & 3.
Key features of the video game are as follow:
Pick Your Own Adventure
• Cultivate, subvert, or sacrifice the different animals who live on Manor Farm and see their different political strategies play out.
• Guide Manor Farm through seven years of Animalism. Can the player avoid its manipulation and the descent into decadence?
• Manage the affairs and feelings of Manor Farm’s animals as the fortunes of the farm evolve.
• Fill your handbook with information about each animal and log events.
Strategically manage the resources and defence of Manor Farm
• Rally against the two-legged enemy: human beings.
• Prepare for battle by building the Farm’s defences and increasing resources production, including building the Windmill.
• Idyllic springs, sweet summers, golden autumns and bitter winters must all be navigated in each passing year as Animalism marches on.
Multiple Endings and unlockable achievements
• Choose your political machinations: Surveillance, Reeducation or Bloodbaths.
• Reach up to 6 destinies and find 8 different endings.
• Complete all 48 achievements in the Farm’s handbook.
• Bring in new creatures to the Republic of Animals, and open up new possibilities for the direction of the Farm.
Wait a minute. Is it just me, or this sounds like a political simulation game? Maybe it is. Anyhoo… for those who are interested, Orwell’s Animal Farm video game will arrive to PC on Steam on December 10.