The BMW Motorrad‘s contender for the so-called “cruiser segment” is the new 2021 BMW R 18 motorcycle. It may not look as radical as the BMW Concept R 18, but man, it is oozing with some pretty serious retro vibes.
BMW Motorrad is pretty proud of the 2021 BMW R 18. Proud enough for the marque to dish out a 1,500-plus words press release, but we are not going to regurgitate the entire mostly marketing mambo jambo.
All you need to know it is absolutely gorgeous and these:
• Iconic style blending modern technology with authentic materials.
• Biggest ever BMW boxer engine with a capacity of 1 802 cc.
• Output 67 kW (91 hp) at 4 750 rpm, maximum torque 158 Nm at 3 000 rpm.
• More than 150 Nm available at all times from 2 000 to 4 000 rpm.
• Exposed drive-shaft based on the classic role model.
• Elaborately crafted double-loop steel tube frame.
• Rear swingarm with enclosed axle drive in rigid-frame design.
• Telescopic fork with sleeves and cantilever suspension strut featuring travel-dependent damping.
• Harmonious ergonomics for relaxed riding and optimum control.
• Disc brakes front and rear, with wire-spoked wheels.
• State-of-the-art LED lighting technology, classically interpreted.
• Adaptive turning light for even better illumination of the road when cornering as an ex factory option.
• Classically designed circular instrument with integrated display.
• Keyless Ride for convenient function activation by remote control.
• Three standard riding modes, ASC and MSR.
• Reverse assist for convenient maneuvering and Hill Start Control for easy hill starts as ex factory options.
• The R 18 First Edition: exclusive look in paint and chrome.
• Extensive range of optional extras and Original BMW Motorrad Accessories as well as a cool Ride & Style Collection.
Finally, what is a BMW without customizing options? For that, BMW Motorrad will offer buyers a selection of individualization options from the Original BMW Motorrad Accessories, plus two different design collections of milled aluminum parts created in collaboration with Roland Sands Design: “Machined” and “2-Tone-Black”.
In addition, BMW also partnered with American company Mustang Seat to offer high-quality handmade seats as well as exhaust systems from Vance & Hines. Both the 2021 BMW R 18 First Edition and the Base Model are available to order with the former selling for $19,870 while the latter, has a starting price of $17,495.
Note: all images shown here are the R 18 First Edition.
All images courtesy of BMW AG.