You know it is coming and so it has. Finally, hugely popular 1960s cartoon by William Hanna and Joseph Barbera, The Flintstones, has gotten its due immortalization as a LEGO set. The LEGO Ideas 21316 The Flintstones was originally submitted by LEGO Ideas member Andrew Clark, AKA AndrewClark2, in February 2017 and subsequently got the support of over 10,000 votes and shortlisted as an official set, adapted by LEGO Designer Ricardo Silva with graphic designer Crystal Maria Fontan who created the decorated elements and minifigures.
With the LEGO Ideas 21316 The Flintstones, Andrew Clark also made history, becoming the one of the three LEGO Ideas members who has had more than one idea turned into an official set. Clark’s first idea-turned-LEGO set was the LEGO 21304 Doctor Who set we saw in 2015. The LEGO Ideas 21316 The Flintstones set features the Flintstone family Stone Age home in Bedrock, the iconic human-powered prehistoric steamroller car, along with four minifigures: Fred and Wilma Flintstone and their besties, Barney and Betty Rubble.
So, no. Pebbles Flintstone is not included. Neither is Bamm-Bamm Rubble and the Flintstones’ pet dino. Awww. What a shame. They should have at least thrown in the pig garbage disposal, right? Here’s official description:
• This LEGO® Ideas building toy includes 4 new-for-March-2019 The Flintstones cartoon character minifigures: Fred Flintstone, Wilma Flintstone, Barney Rubble and Betty Rubble.
• The Flintstones home features a removable roof for easy play, an opening front door, curtains and curtain rails, sofa, TV with aerial, kitchen sink, table and phone, fireplace, painting element on the wall, coffee table with fruit bowl and fruit elements, buildable floor lamp and lampshade, crate with a bowling ball and 3 bowling pin elements, plus a green garden baseplate with a buildable palm tree, 2 flower pots, flowers, plants and 2 milk bottle elements.
• Includes a buildable postbox with printed ‘Flintstones’ decoration, plus a letter element.
• The LEGO® brick-built Flintstones car features 4 minifigure seats, 2 steamroller wheels, a new-for-March-2019 fabric car roof element, plus an attachable dinosaur rib.
• This creative toy building set comes with a booklet with building instructions, fun facts about The Flintstones, and information about this awesome retro set’s fan creator and LEGO® designers.
• Build and display this collectible construction toy or recreate your favorite scenes from the classic American animated sitcom The Flintstones.
• The Flintstones Bedrock home measures over 4” (12cm) high, 6” (16cm) wide and 4” (12cm) deep.
• The Flintstones car measures over 2” (6cm) high, 4” (11cm) long and 2” (7cm) wide.
The 748-piece LEGO Ideas 21316 The Flintstones building set will be available from shop.LEGO.com, as well as LEGO stores around the world starting February 20, 2019 for VIP members and March 1, 2019 for non-VIP members, for $59.99.
LEGO didn’t specifically say it, but being a VIP member, getting the set first gives you the opportunity of having it signed by both fan designers if you hit up a special signing event at The LEGO Store @ Arundel Mills, 7000 Arundel Mills Cir, Hanover, MD 21076, USA. The even will run from 11AM through to 2PM on February 23, 2019.
Images: LEGO Ideas.