Well, that was fast. Sony Xperia 1 III was just available last August and now, there is the next-generation, Xperia I, the Sony Xperia 1 IV. Aesthetically, it looks nearly identical to its predecessor which is clean and minimal, you know, nothing fancy.
Billed as the “powerhouse in content creation”, the new Sony Xperia 1 IV touts the world’s first True Optical Zoom Lens and I believe it is the first smartphone that is capable of 4K 120 fps slo-mo video recording on all lenses – which it has 3x 12 MP. And oh, autofocus is available to all lenses too. Sweet. Here’s a quick rundown of the highlights straight from the source:
- 85-125mm lens offering the world’s first true optical zoom lens and 120fps high-speed readout image sensor for all three lenses to never miss the moment.
- “Videography Pro,” and “External monitor” feature with live streaming.
- 120Hz display delivers exceptionally smooth graphics performance and 240Hz high-speed touch detection for game players is in complete control of the action.
- Game assist function “Game Enhancer” can be used to fine-tune the image and audio quality and supports live streaming for real-time content sharing.
- 50% Brighter 4K 120Hz HDR display and Real-time HDR drive.
- Further enhanced Full-stage stereo speakers and high-quality sound recording with “Music Pro.”
- Powerful 5,000 mAh and long-life battery for longer use, with Snapdragon® 8 Gen 1 Mobile Platform and Corning® Gorilla® Glass Victus®.
- Plastic-free packaging, with approximately 50% less package size compared to previous models with no charger and cable accessories. Reduced CO2 emissions by up to 36% per unit compared to conventional packaging-sized transportation.
Sony Xperia 1 IV is also Sony’s first phone to run on Qualcomm’s next-gen mobile platform, Snapdragon 8 Gen 1, and benefits from 12 GB of RAM and 512 GB UFS storage – which can be expandable up to a terabyte with a microSDXC card.
It gets a 21:9 aspect ratio, 120 Hz 6.5-inch 4K (3,840 x 1,644 pixels) HDR OLED display that features 240 Hz Motion blur reduction, 240 Hz Touch scanning rate, X1 for mobile, and Corning Gorilla Glass Victus.
Other highlights include a 12 MP tri-camera setup featuring Exmor RS for mobile sensors with Zeiss Optics, a 12 MP 1/2.9” Exmor RS for mobile front-facing camera, support for Hi-Res Audio (including Hi-Res Audio Wireless), 3.5 mm audio jack, 360 Reality Audio certified, 360 Reality Audio Upmix, full-stage stereo speakers, Dolby Atmos, dual SIM (nano + eSIM), GPS (A-GPS, A-GLONASS, BeiDou, Galileo, QZSS), Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth 5.1, USB 3.2 (USB-C interface), and a 5,000 mAh battery with up to a 3-year long life and with PD fast charging support. It has wireless charging too. The device has IP65/68 water and dust resistance.
Sony Xperia 1 IV will arrive on September 01, 2022, unlocked and in a black colorway, for US$1,599.99 at Sony’s authorized dealers across stateside. The purple version is a Sony Electronics online exclusive.
Pre-orders have already begun for the device. And if you do pre-order, you will be eligible to receive Sony’s latest WF-1000XM4 true wireless noise cancelation earbuds with purchase.
Images: Sony [UK].