Crowdfunding is an excellent method to secure buyers before investing in production machinery or molds. It took a while for major toymakers such as Hasbro and Mattel to recognize the advantages of this business model. Speaking of which… we’re here with Mattel’s latest crowdfunding venture: the Hot Wheels Collectors RLC Exclusive 1:18 Scale ’55 Chevy Bel Air Gasser “Candy Striper.” This should be Mattel’s second since after MOTU Origins Eternia Playset. Correct me if I am wrong but anyhoo…
Introducing the legendary “Candy Striper” Gasser, an RLC icon. Originally, only 4,000 1:64 editions were crafted in 2015, and the demand has since skyrocketed. To resurrect it, Mattel has gone big—REALLY big. Mattel’s inaugural club crowdfund is revved up with three tiers of extras to unlock.
The RLC Exclusive 1:18 Scale ’55 Chevy Bel Air Gasser “Candy Striper” Crowdfund features:
- 1:18 scale, 100+ piece count meticulously detailed model
- 427 big block V8 engine includes chrome valve covers, chrome supercharger, dual quads with multipiece air breathers, headers, and individual spark plug wires
- Working front steering with detailed suspension
- Fully detailed interior with authentic dashboard, instrument panel details, steering wheel, shift knob and more
- Die-cast body Body Color: Spectraflame pink with white roof and pink striping
- Body Type: ZAMAC
- Wheels: Real Rider tires with chrome 5-spoke rims
- Base: Matte black chassis
- Window Color: Light blue-tinted
- Interior Color: Two-tone pink and white
A minimum of 10,000 backers is needed to make it happen, with added backers leading to more customization and accessories. If you are a super fan of Chevy and are huge on die-cast collectibles, you better keep your fingers crossed that more people join the fun because the extras from the stretch goals will put a huge smile on your face:
- At 10,000 backers, you unlock the insanely detailed, die-cast 1:18 “Candy Striper” ’55 Chevy Bel Air Gasser.
- At 13,000 backers, we’ll add a replica 1:64 “Candy Striper” die-cast car.
- At 16,000 backers, we’ll add plug-in flame exhaust, plus smoke stands for wheelie display, for the 1:18 version.
- At 19,000 backers, we’ll add a display plinth and background scene, and individually number each set.
At the time of this article, there are only a little over 4,000 backers and it has 18 days to meet the minimum number of backers to get the go-ahead for production. It is not looking good, TBH. It will be pointless if you can’t have the plug-in flame exhaust and smoke stands, IMHO. The campaign will end on October 09, 2023, at 11:59 PM PT. The asking price for this shiny 1:18 model is US$250.